Electric parking brake failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq

Post by 61666 »

My 2019 Karoq Scout broke down last night. Was on a steep dual carriageway in a two lane queue behind an accident. When trying to move the car to one side to let emergency services through, the parking brake would not disengage and the car refused to start. Myriad warnings including low tyre pressures, no battery etc. Skoda assist took three hours to attend. Dealers Beadles did not acknowledge arrival of car this morning and now have to wait 48 hours before they will even look at the car!
Poor service. My fifth Skoda, but first one with any problems. Any thoughts? It is a manual 4x4.

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Reading this made me look up the Owner's Manual (p206).

Between the "electric parking brake" and the "Auto Hold" makes you wonder what made the car unable to move.

Keep us posted.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....

Post by 61666 »

Dealers still not covering themselves in glory. They found the battery was completely flat, so initially waiting for it to charge. Seems they don't have any spares, so suggested they get one from Halfords, just over the road, which didn't go down well. However, must be said there is a Beadles VW dealership next door, so not entirely confident at the moment!
Therefore still waiting for the plug in diagnostic report and could be I will not be seeing my car before Monday at this rate.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Another case of VAG (Skoda) Supplying a solution to a non existent problem that lets you down just at the wrong moment.
What's wrong with the good old 'yank it' handbrake lever. Note to VAG they don't misbehave.
Yes, I admit it,I'm a Luddite! :lol:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

Post by 61666 »

Makes you wonder...
Still no news and now waiting the arrival of an 'expert' on Monday - assuming he is allowed to travel.
Have decided to use a hire car from Skoda Assist. Seems the cost falls to the dealership, which might help focus their attention. There again, if there is another lockdown, could be December before I see my car again?

Post by 61666 »

Expert too busy to look at my car on Monday, but promised would be first thing today. Now have a Vauxhall Crossland X from Enterprise, with dealership paying. Seems they are still working from Thursday, otherwise chances of me seeing my car before Christmas look slim...

Post by 61666 »

Now have my Karoq back, but none the wiser. Beadles insist they can find no faults and have no answers to my questions of:
Why did the parking brake lock on?
Why did the battery drain?

Surely if the battery went flat, then it is an alternator problem? If the parking brake stuck on, then there was an electro -mechanical fault?

The Skoda Karoq is an infinitely better car than a Vauxhall Crossland and Skodas are usually very reliable, but do I now have a car that is waiting to fail again? The dealership had the car for eight days and as far as I can tell, all they did was charge the battery and plug it into the diagnostic machine a couple of times. Unless I rang them, I never got an update.
Have registered a formal complaint with customer services, but all I can do now is make sure am well prepared next time I venture out.
Meanwhile, got a letter from the service department, saying another one is due. The car had its first annual service in March and has done about 5000 miles since then. Things like this only serve to increase the impression that they don't know what they are doing...
Hughnchrye

Post by Hughnchrye »

Hi,

I had a similar problem not starting etc. I contacted Skoda but to no avail. I found by trial and error. By changing the battery in the key fob ( the electronic signal may be low to the car ). To my amazement this cured the problem. I informed Skoda what I had done but got no response.

Hughnchrye

Post by 61666 »

Interesting, not least because mine broke down again today. Same problem, parking brake stuck on and wouldn't start. The car has done 130miles in the last week, including 50 miles at 70 on the motorway. The display said the car needed to be driven to charge the battery.
However had invested in a battery booster, which got it started again and it started twice more on its own battery immediately after. Being a diesel, assume it doesn't need battery power for actual running?
Not wanting to trust it on a longer journey, drove it back to the dealers, who promise me they will look at it on Monday and let me know. If so, that will be a first!
On a different forum there is a strong suggestion that Karoqs built before mid 2019 had main batteries that are not up to the job. Either way, not good for confidence.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I've seen reports that there were a bad batch of batteries used by VAG, and also that any cars stranded in the first lockdown had flat batteries as a result which then suffered from faults.
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post