BAD WEEK! Fuel filler jammed? See here for how to get in!

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

After a blood test on Monday, epidural injection for spinal problem (OUCH+) Wednesday. CT scan and eye test on Friday and THEN>>>>>>>
Today>>>>> First we had a puncture! Not Skoda’s fault. Rescued by G/friend's Honda tyre pump. Had to wait over an hour to get it fixed due to tyre depot being run off their feet.

Fuel filler flap jammed shut and wouldn't unlock. :oops:
Called Dealer, very helpful, carried out all suggestions, but to no avail, so did as requested and
called Skoda rescue and eventually the dedicated VAG rescue /A A arrived 4 hours later (not his fault obviously, as B/H weekend) and had to prise the cover open. Thereby snapping the plastic (had to sign waiver) Luckily I wasn’t going anywhere and on the last knockings if fuel.

The most ridiculous system . The solenoid was still working but the little rotating ‘do-da’ would not disengage.
The solenoid cannot be removed, so the whole rubber ‘bucket’ has to be destroyed to remove it.
The new part comes complete with the solenoid, the rotating 'do-da’ and the inner door flap. Luckily the outside cover section slides off the old one and therefore onto the new one. At least I won’t have to have it sprayed.

Most impressed with the AA/VAG man. He had obviously come across this ridiculous system before .

He is coming back next Wednesday to fit the new parts.
He said I was most likely caused by the torrential hail storm we had the other day. Apparently ingress of water into the filler area causes this problem frequently. Obviously too stupid to waterproof it a la Honda.
I even had water in the boot after the storm, dripping in from the air ‘out’ valve !??
Nothing like a cable and lever to open the flap. Why they have to get so unnecessarily complicated?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Sorry re your troubles.

As to your "Why" question the answer is always the same. a self contained unit and wiring will always be cheaper compared to fitting a cable and lever.
Cars are built by accountants nowadays.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Tom,
I would have thought the solenoid required would out price a lever and a cable.
My friends Mazda 2 has lever and cable? Perhaps that is just because Mazda are more 'simple minded' If so, good on them,
I find all these solutions to non existent problems very stupid. Just more to go wrong as proven by my experience.
I am old enough to have owned many cars with absolutely no 'tech' whatsoever. I'm not saying that much tech, especially safety wise is not a good thing.
But such things as electric fuel filler caps, electric boot lids. foot operated boot lids are all just unnecessary cr@p. Problems just waiting to happen. I will NEVER keep a modern car out of warranty. This fuel filler nonsense would have cost me about £100+ if it had been out of warranty and all completely unnecessary!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

kodiaq wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 am Tom,
I would have thought the solenoid required would out price a lever and a cable.
My friends Mazda 2 has lever and cable? Perhaps that is just because Mazda are more 'simple minded' If so, good on them,
I find all these solutions to non existent problems very stupid. Just more to go wrong as proven by my experience.
I am old enough to have owned many cars with absolutely no 'tech' whatsoever. I'm not saying that much tech, especially safety wise is not a good thing.
But such things as electric fuel filler caps, electric boot lids. foot operated boot lids are all just unnecessary cr@p. Problems just waiting to happen. I will NEVER keep a modern car out of warranty. This fuel filler nonsense would have cost me about £100+ if it had been out of warranty and all completely unnecessary!
I feel that it's not so much the cost of parts but the time/labour fitting. The car will still need the filler unit fitted by a person but now it just needs connecting to the canbus loom. Compare this to fitting a similar filler unit, threading the cable, fitting the lever and connecting both ends.

As to your second point I have over my 50+ years of driving just run cars into the ground and thrown them away. I have only part exchanged two cars in all that time the first was in 1986 and the last was a diesel Yeti caught up in the emissions fix scandal (what else can you call it?). I wouldn't have got rid of the Yeti but the fix caused driving problems (and it needed a replacement EGR). When the trust building measure guarantee ran out I dumped it on my local dealer and got a petrol Karoq. I'm old enough with my philosophy that this could easily be my last car.
At least my current motorbike (again probably my last) just has an ecu that runs the engine and the speedo, everything else is old fashioned wiring, no canbus, no abs.

tom
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

My main gripe is that it is of poor design. It is obviously not weatherproof in the sort of storms we have had recently.
A simple solenoid with a prong that pops out to lock and is withdrawn to unlock, contained in a waterproof rubber boot (A la Honda) would be a much better solution, I think.
Anyway the problem is no longer mine! (See thread 'AT LAST'.)

The AA chap called me today to say that although the solenoid is available, the rest of the fixture is on back order, of indeterminate length.

I called the DP of Meadens and he said he would accept the car as is and repair it under warranty as and when the parts are available. His exact comment was (with a heavy sigh!!) "I'll add it to the list of other stuff we are waiting for on back order, including a Karoq door card".

Good of him, but since selling me (and keeping me happy as a 12 year long repeat customer) another car, or refusing to accept it in it's broken condition when it's Skoda's fault not mine, is a no brainer.

Glad to hear from someone else who is thinking car may be the last. I started riding m/bikes in 1962 and passed my car test in April '63.
We oldies must keep our ends up, there are too may 'whipper-snappers' about today!! :lol:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

kodiaq wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:23 pm
My main gripe is that it is of poor design. It is obviously not weatherproof in the sort of storms we have had recently.

Glad to hear from someone else who is thinking car may be the last. I started riding m/bikes in 1962 and passed my car test in April '63.
We oldies must keep our ends up, there are too may 'whipper-snappers' about today!! :lol:
Colin

Fully agree re design.

Beat me by a couple of years!

tom

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post