A-pillar trim removal

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
mjp101

Post by mjp101 »

I am trying to run a dash-cam cable down the front of the A-Plllar trim and then into the fuse box. I understand there are 3 clips on the trim and it needs to be slid upwards to release.

Limp-wristed as I am, I cannot budge the trim. I can 'wiggle' the trim a bit and hear some clicking of the clips?? but that is all. Hoping someone with experience in this will give me the trade secret!

So far I have tried pulling at the top having pulled the trim away from the door seal. Obviously missing the very clever bit......

mjp101

Post by mjp101 »

Forgot to add that I have a set of 'doofers' for trim removal but don't actually know where and how to doofer. :-)
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I think you will find that with a blunt, large-ish flat bladed screwdriver you can actually push the cable between the screen and the A pillar cover out of sight.
That is what I did on my last KAroq. I haven't got round to fitting camera on my current Karoq.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
mjp101

Post by mjp101 »

Yes that is not the problem - it is getting it down to the fuse box without impinging on the airbag system that is.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

No Probs.
push it into gap as above and then behind the rubber on the door jamb > below the under dash panel and up int the fuse box from behind.BUT be aware that most dash cams are FIVE VOLT NOT !2. Check your cam. If 12v fine if 5v you must get a voltage dropper (EBAY) to put in the circuit. Otherwise your cam will have a very short life and get fried 5÷12 doesn't go!
Or to save all the faff. route the cable to the centre console and plug it into the USB which has the double benefits of
1. being 5volt and
2. is ignition controlled.
I always choose the USB route.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
mjp101

Post by mjp101 »

Thanks, kodiaq. I will be fitting a 5V adapter to the fuse box if and when I get the cable there!! I am currnetly plugged into the USB socket but I detest the wire hanging there!

You 'lost' me between running down the front of the pillar and then getting to the door seal. Can I safely go round the TOP of the A-pillar trim into the door seal without risking the airbag?
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Sorry, Thats what I meant. Tuck the cable under the roof lining to the A pillar and then down between the glass and the trim. Down behind the rubber sealing strip to the bottom of the dashboard, then up behind it to the fuse box.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
mjp101

Post by mjp101 »

Still not 'with it', Colin, my apologies. Yes, I can get it down the front of the trim. Yes, I can get it from the door seal to the fuse box. How do I get it, out of sight, from the front of the trim to the door seal without 'risking' the airbag?
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

You can 'almost' hide it in the gap between the A pillar and the top of the dashboard. More pushing with aforementioned blunt flat blade screwdriver.
I'll look at my Karoq and will take a pic and put it on here later.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
mjp101

Post by mjp101 »

Thanks - that would be good.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post