Dash cam diy

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
alickswd

Post by alickswd »

I've been investigating how to fit the dash cam from my previous car into the Karoq. I'm not interested in using the 12v supply in the centre console I'm looking to use the one behind the fuse box and according to the info gleaned from this forum I need to use fuse 47, no problems.

What I cannot see is a location to earth the camera, the other vehicles I've fitted dash cams to a suitable location has been easy to find,

Has any one got any ideas of guidance?

Many thanks

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

There should be a nut somewhere available in the depths by the fuse box , if not drop the glove box lid and see if there is one there. use an open ended spade connector for the earth and DO NOT remove any nut you find (in case you drop it into the bowels of the car) just loosen it a few turns.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
draig

Post by draig »

I routed my wire across the top of the windscreen (under the edge of the roof lining), across the top of the passenger side pillar to the rubber door seal, then down inside the seal until it reaches the side panel (the one with the key slot for turning off the passenger air bag). I carefully popped this panel off & fed the wire through to the fusebox. In the space behind this panel I found a large screw suitable for using as the earth. As Kodiaq says, use a spade connection & only undo the screw enough to slide in the connection. Once you have tightened up the screw again make sure that the earth wire is properly attached & can't be pulled out, as sometimes tightening the screw can force the connection back out - I find it best to physically hold the connection in as far as it will go whilst tightening.

I also used fuse 47.
AKA Dai, deepest darkest Wales
Karoq Scout 4x4 2.0 TDI 150hp
Black Magic (Pearl)
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Spot on!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
alickswd

Post by alickswd »

That sounds like a plan, I'll give it ago at the weekend providing the weather is condusive. :D
alickswd

Post by alickswd »

Due to the weather over the last few weeks I've only just completed this job.

Easy peasy, this is the fourth dash cam I've fitted and it was by far the quickest, pop the panel off with the air bag key in it, tuck the cable way, put a bolt in to one of the many openings in the metal work for the earth. 45 minute job.

Many thanks for the inside info
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

What dash cam have you fitted and what is the video quality like?
There is such a wide choice it's difficult to know what to buy.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
alickswd

Post by alickswd »

I have a Netbase 322 with a wired rear.

The video seems ok and it was easy to set up, the rear was dead simple to fit, the cable runs along in the head lining join There is plenty of space in the rear pillar for the extra cable to be concealed.
Trogglet

Post by Trogglet »

Forgive my ignorance, lovely people, but are we using one of those little converter things that plug into the fuse holder instead of the original fuse (which is then plugged in to the "converter"?
Thanks ..... A
Karoq SEL 1.5 petrol. Delivered 1 day before lockdown.
Previously Octavia II
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hello A,
Two ways of wiring a dash cam.
1. Hard wire it into the fuse box using a 'piggy back' fuse.......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Blade-H ... Swfrld8L45
+ find a convenient bolt to connect the earth wire.
WARNING! You MUST check your dash cam to see what voltage it requires. Most run on FIVE VOLTS! if you connect the cam directly you will fry it. (I lost 2, before I realised what the problem was.It usually lasts 3-4 months then just stops working!)
12v into 5 v doesn't go! To overcome this you must buy a voltage dropper (transformer)
Various types here......https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0
2. Simplest way of doing it. Hide lead round windscreen rubber and plug USB plug into USB port on centre console which is FIVE volt aAND ignition controlled Seemples! You may have to buy an adapter if your cam comes with a standard cigar lighter plug, which may have a voltage dropper built in.
or, higher 'Faff' rating.......
If your car does NOT have a USB port, buy a 12v plug with USB port, .......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Car-Plug ... SwZqZaMO79 and then follow above.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post