Dash cam diy

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Trogglet

Post by Trogglet »

Thanks kodiaq - that clarifies a lot of things! The links are very helpful.
I discovered I'd been given a hard wire kit, complete with a selection of piggy back connectors and the all important voltage dropper - now I understand what all the bits do!
My insurers seem very interested in my having a dash cam, so I'd best get cracking!
Thanks for your time ....... A
Karoq SEL 1.5 petrol. Delivered 1 day before lockdown.
Previously Octavia II

RATBIKENEE

Post by RATBIKENEE »

hello new member here, sorry to just jump in but this is all new to me,i have a Skoda karoq 1.6 SEL diesel 2019 model. i booked Halfords to come and fit a new front and rear dash cam and the chap said he could not fit them as it keep bringing faults up and blowing fuses' contacted my Skoda dealership and they say you cannot fit a rear camera because it interferes with the radio? it seem weird to me ,as anybody else had anything like this. Thanks ratbikenee
Demport

Post by Demport »

RATBIKENEE wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:43 pm hello new member here, sorry to just jump in but this is all new to me,i have a Skoda karoq 1.6 SEL diesel 2019 model. i booked Halfords to come and fit a new front and rear dash cam and the chap said he could not fit them as it keep bringing faults up and blowing fuses' contacted my Skoda dealership and they say you cannot fit a rear camera because it interferes with the radio? it seem weird to me ,as anybody else had anything like this. Thanks ratbikenee
If you're after a Nextbase dashcam, it may be worth checking prices with Skoda dealers.
A Skoda dealer supplied and installed mine for less than Halfords were quoting.
And did it well!
Just a thought...
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have a Thinkware dashcam, front and rear. No issues with anything, but I did not let a Skoda dealer fit it (or Halfords!)

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
MrCC

Post by MrCC »

Hi guys,

I’ve been round the houses on this a few times. I fitted my Nextbase 312GW easily into my old Octavia (‘16) but I’ve really struggled to do it in my new Karoq (‘21). Hard wiring round the windscreen and into the fuse box was easy but I can’t make any of the fuse sockets work, even the much talked about #47. This is partly because it’s already got a 15amp fuse in for rear wipers which won’t fit into the dash cam attachment to piggy back (the fuse is too big).

The other problem I’ve had is that ever since I took the side panel off to pass the cable through I get a warning light when the ignition goes on that the passenger airbag doesn’t work (the side panel has it plugged into it which I had to disconnect and reconnect).

So in summary, I still don’t have a working dash cam AND my airbag is screwed! Halfords won’t help as I didn’t initially buy the cam from them and when I bought the car the garage they said they won’t fit them anymore (despite still selling them). What can I do?!?

56AAC97C-AEC2-4BAF-A179-591DFDC54E4A.jpeg

59FCDFF0-583D-49DC-9F67-CB7991044968.jpeg

D9B2A5DB-AEC7-4EF8-AFC2-3B30A1B2CA5B.jpeg

Soup

Post by Soup »

Piggyback fuse taps and fuses come in three different sizes. You'll be able to find a tap that fits on Amazon.

This is going to sound a bit like being wise after the event, but you don't need to unplug the airbag connection inside the dash side panel to do what you're trying to do. The internal cable length should give you enough room to get the end panel far enough out of the way.

And as far as getting rid of the warning light generated by disconnecting the airbag is concerned, doing a diagnostic scan yourself with an app-based scanner (Like OBDeleven or Carista) and its associated OBD port adapter will probably enable you to reset the fault you inadvertently created.

If that isn't a route you want to go down, a dealership will clear the fault for you but it'll likely cost you the thick end of sixty quid for the privilege.

Good luck.
MrCC

Post by MrCC »

Thanks, Soup.

Unfortunately even when unplugging fuse 47 and putting the dash cam in just to see if it worked... didn't work so I must be doing something else wrong, too.

I know what you mean about the side panel but as I couldn't find an earth in the glove compartment I needed to take it off to get access to some bolts. There may well have been something more suitable somewhere else and if I'd know about the diagnostic issue then I probably would've attempted other avenues first. Thanks for the solution, though. As I've never heard of any of those aps before or even an OBD port I think I'll just have to suck up the garage fee, though - doh!
RogR

Post by RogR »

I used a cover screw to the side of the right side of the fuse box to get an earth. Fuse 47 needs the ignition turned on to be live to test the sat nav, did you turn it on?
I fitted mine to a new Edition my self no problems. Attached is a picture of the kit I got from Amazon. There is no need to remove the air bag connections. Good Luck.
P.S. my picture says fuse 40 it should have said 47

C14E3337-E331-47B5-A648-87EB9873742A.jpeg

122E6681-B091-42C8-B8D5-DDB967179CF6.jpeg

2AF8D26E-AA9E-4E9E-8D29-B0AE8F85D3E4.jpeg

3C242E3E-4A31-4E43-9A6B-FBB9A5A7949C.jpeg

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

You can also power a dash cam requiring USB power from the OBD port. There are Chinese kits around as well as kits from some dash cam manufacturers.

Do a Google search for 'dashcam obd power'(without the quotes).

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
atkinbrown

Post by atkinbrown »

we tried running dash cam from usb socket and it didn't work. we now just plug it in then unplug when we get home.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post