12V power still on when locked

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
darren_h_gill

Post by darren_h_gill »

Is there any way way to have the 12V supply turn off when the car is locked?

I have a NextBase dash cam plugged into the 12V supply which I have to remember to plug/unplug with each journey. Otherwise the power remains active and the dash cam records a whole night of my house wall! My previous vehicle (Vauxhall Mokka) turned off the power as the key was removed, so there was no problem as the camera shut itself down after 10 seconds.

Thanks

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

In a word NO!. NOT so 'Simply Clever'!
It is the stupidity of the VAG that their 12 sockets remain live all the time. Does you camera not have an 'off' button?
I admit I was caught out by this problem years ago with my Yetis.
The solution is to hard wire it to a switchable fuse. Most people us the rear wiper fuse with a 'piggyback' fuse holder. Bear in mind if you do hard wire it, that most dash cams use 5v not 12 so you will fry the camera (mine lasted about 4 months!!)
Another solution is to run the wire round the windscreen and eventually to the centre console and plug it into the USB port which IS switched AND 5Volts.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
darren_h_gill

Post by darren_h_gill »

Thanks for the information.

My camera does have an "off" button, but I have gotten used to the setting for auto "Off" and "On" with the power, which means that the system just works when you are driving. I will investigate the option for the console USB, it sounds like my best chance of getting the behaviour that I want.

And, if that does not prove feasible in my case I shall just have to learn a new habit, 'Simply Annoying'!
The Hood

Post by The Hood »

The rear wiper fuse is under the bonnet. If the USB sockets are switched they are fuse number 34 inside the glove box.

If you buy a Nextbase hardwire kit it contains all the leads you need with an inline voltage regulator and piggy back fuses. The kit is £20 from Halfords
[url]https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/nextbase-dash-cam-hardwire-kit [/url]

Not done a Karoq but a Yeti takes fifteen minutes start to finish, wires behind headlining, down inside A pillar then into fusebox.
The Hood
AKA The Hood
DMS, CMS, DIPNEBSS, MISM
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

USB Fuse 16
Rear wiper 47
Fuse box in passenger glove box (RHD)
No need to piggy back if using the USB, Just plug the camera in. You have about 5 inches of cable showing. The USB supplies 5volts and is ignition controlled.

Look here for details.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
The Hood

Post by The Hood »

Skoda, simply confusing, multiple fuses and locations for the same items. If you watch Kodiaq's video the USB ports are listed as No16 and No34. The advantage of a piggy back fuse is it removes any danger of a problem with the camera affecting the vehicle electrics. The USB ports will be 5V at the outlet not from the fuse box.

k internal fuse 1.jpg

k fusebox 2.jpg

The Hood
AKA The Hood
DMS, CMS, DIPNEBSS, MISM
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Ok Derek, I give up.....
what are they?
DMS, CMS, DIPNEBSS, MISM
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.