Key failure with no warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
DAVE L

Post by DAVE L »

Why is the battery in my key fob only lasting 4 weeks at a time 21 plate koroq SEL
David L

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

DAVE L wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 am Why is the battery in my key fob only lasting 4 weeks at a time 21 plate koroq SEL
David L
Earlier posts in this thread have suggested Duracell aren't suitable and recommended Panasonics instead. Which are yours?

The new keys should turn off if not moved for 5 minutes, prolonging the batteries. Are yours being moved a lot, or the buttons pushed inadvertently?

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Mark-Guildford

Post by Mark-Guildford »

My wife’s KESSY keyfob battery also failed yesterday. She said she didn’t remember seeing any kind of low battery warning on the dashboard.
I swapped the battery for a cheapo one which I had at home, but still no luck. I therefore tried testing both batteries on the battery tester which I had at home. Both of them were showing a good level. I’m not sure how many volts, as it wasn’t a voltmeter. I didn’t get a red lit LED on the keyfob with either of them when I pressed a button.
So then I bought a Panasonic battery, put it in the keyfob, and it worked first time, without even having to re-sync it. So I guess it’s best to stay clear of the cheapo Poundland coincell battery packs, and stick with Panasonic.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Just like the washer "top up" that you pay for on a dealer service, changing the key fob battery will turn into something the dealer does every time (and charges you for the pleasure).

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Sigo

Post by Sigo »

Had same problem yesterday, battery failure, no warning. Paradoxically my wife’s battery ran out only last week with a warning. Situation saved by wife taking an Uber to bring her key to the car. Now have installed an Energizer in my fob. Learning for me and recommendation to others, always carry a spare battery in the car…the door can always be opened manually.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Read the manual regarding opening the door using the key in the lock and then starting the car by pressing the the starter button with the key fob.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

A page number would be useful for some ........please!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

sanqhar wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:40 am Read the manual regarding opening the door using the key in the lock and then starting the car by pressing the starter button with the key fob.

tom
I tried that and had to get a man from Skoda Ensurance to come and do it for me as the key just turned in the lock barrel. To make it work, the key has to be pushed and held in VERY firmly while it is turned (I don't know if that is a general problem or just my car). Starting the car with the key against the start button worked, but took several attempts while the alarm was sounding.

I would also recommend caution regarding the selection of batteries for the fob. I have tried Duracells and Energisers, both failed early, without warning (the second Duracell after only a couple of weeks). So far the Panasonic battery, that my dealer and several people on other Skoda forums, recommended has been fine for 10 months. I will replace the batteries in all 4 Skoda keys in the house at the end of the year. The cost is small compared to the hassle of being locked out on a freezing wet night 30 miles from home.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Sigo

Post by Sigo »

Can anyone help please? I have a May 2018 Karoq Edition

My electronic locking is playing up on the drivers door.
I have the KESSY system activated.
Recently it has stopped responding as I touch the door handle.
If I use unlock/lock on the key fob it only works intermittently, let’s say 50/50% of the time.
The rear and passenger doors respond, no problem.
Leaving me to open the drivers door by reaching (just!) through from the rear passenger compartment.
Or from the passenger compartment in the front.
I changed the battery in the key fob for the first time since owning the car using an Energiser CR2025 about 3 months ago, this problem has started only in the past 10 days.
(I take note of advice here to use only Panasonic batteries - maybe this is the problem?)
Any opinions warmly welcomed.
Thank you
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Are all the other doors locking and unlocking on the first attempt? If so, it sounds like a dodgy solenoid in the drivers door rather than anything wrong with KESSY or your key fob.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post