Key failure with no warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Mike260

Post by Mike260 »

I too had a key failure with no warning. I was out walking the dog and as it was cold my hands were in my pocket holding the key so no chance the button was pressed. My wife drove out with the spare and I was OK to get home. I knew how to get in so no problem there but all that happened was the alarm went off and I couldn't start the car. When I got home I replaced the battery with two new batteries fresh out of the packet but either worked. I explained all this to the service reception. Being convinced the key had failed I made and appointment to get it checked. 20 mile each way to be told that the battery I replaced the original was not up to voltage and would not work. Appears a digital issue it either works or not no slow fade as before. Anyway I was advised only certain batteries are reliable to work in the fob and told that they suggest Panasonic. When I mentioned Duracell they said no it's unreliable. Needless to say I could have saved a 40 mile round trip had I been told of this known issue. First time that their service has been poor but in the circumstances with lock down etc I was not best pleased.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

It is nine days since I replaced the batteries in both my key fobs. One has not worked since but the other was fine. Today, when I left work the key was dead. No response from the car, no light on the battery... Not impressed. I was able to get in using the mechanical key and got home OK but this really should not happen. I have checked the batteries in both fobs and both are reading slightly over the nominal 3v so this is not a battery failure.

The batteries in question are Duracell CR2025 with an expiry date of 2025. In light of the above post, I have ordered a couple of Panasonic batteries and will try those when they arrive at the weekend, in the meantime I will use my wife's car. I will let you know what happens.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

Ian,

My replacement Panasonic batteries have been fine, so far. I’m intrigued how you managed to start & drive the car after unlocking using the mechanical option?
My experience was, the alarm sounded constantly & no way could I stop it or start the engine, so completely stranded.

Hopefully the New Panasonic batteries will work out good for you,

Geoff.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

LancashireLad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 am I’m intrigued how you managed to start & drive the car after unlocking using the mechanical option?
My experience was, the alarm sounded constantly & no way could I stop it or start the engine, so completely stranded.
When opening the door with the mechanical key, the alarm will sound (if it does not there is a fault) and only the driver's door will unlock, to open other doors use the lock button on the centre console. To silence the alarm and start the car, fold the key away then put your foot on the brake and use the key fob to press the start button. The transducer in the fob will still work but only at a very short range so it is important to put the key right against the start button.

It may take several attempts before the car starts and the alarm will go quiet and then sound again, but once it starts it will keep running until you press the stop button (Not sure about the auto start/stop function, I immediately disabled it just in case...)
LancashireLad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 amHopefully the New Panasonic batteries will work out good for you,
That makes two of us :)

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

Hughnchrye

Post by Hughnchrye »

I had a similar problem a few months ago, I was fortunate my wife was with me with the other set of keys.

I travelled to the local Skoda dealer informed them of my experience , confirming No Warning, but to no avail. They informed me there was nothing wrong.

I replaced the battery in the key fob and left the dealer. You can imagine how I felt let down. They gave me the feeling that they didn't care.

I wouldn't have bothered but having been a loyal Skoda owner since 1980 and owned over 20 of various models I was very disappointed.

Since then I keep a spare battery with me at all times.

Hughnchrye
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I would complain to the Dealer CEO and SUK. (customer Services MANAGER-not the chap who answers the 'phone.)
Skoda don't take kindly to their dealers being offhand.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Update:

Today my Panasonic CR2025s arrived. I fitted the batteries to both keys and, without doing anything else, the lights on the keys worked and the keys operated the locks perfectly. So, based on a sample far too small to be statistically significant, it does look like brand new Duracells are no good for KESSY keys (or are at best marginal) but Panasonic batteries have no issue.

Fingers crossed that is the end of my key problems. I will let the folks here know if I have any further problems.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS The keys did not even need to be synchronised with the car.

alickswd

Post by alickswd »

I have Panasonic batteries in both of our key fobs, I have put the bolt meter across them both and get readings of 2.97v and 2.96v. Both healthy you would think, but no the 2.97v battery in my fob will not do anything, no red light nothing at all!

From this I conclude something but what I've not yet decided.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

alickswd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:32 pm I have Panasonic batteries in both of our key fobs, I have put the bolt meter across them both and get readings of 2.97v and 2.96v. Both healthy you would think, but no the 2.97v battery in my fob will not do anything, no red light nothing at all!

From this I conclude something but what I've not yet decided.
Swop the batteries between the keys?

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
alickswd

Post by alickswd »

I've tried that idea and the same fob (mine) still fails to operate, I'll have to try and get hold of the dealer, but when I had this problem in lockdown 1 they couldn't be bothered to get back to me.

Some how though some sort of magic it started to work again all by it's self without any sort of intervention!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post