Key failure with no warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Sigo

Post by Sigo »

Thanks Ian, very belated response. Although dealer couldn’t find a fault at recent service, the problem appears to have resolved itself. Will note your suggestion if the issue returns.

Hartley66

Post by Hartley66 »

LancashireLad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 am Ian,

My replacement Panasonic batteries have been fine, so far. I’m intrigued how you managed to start & drive the car after unlocking using the mechanical option?
My experience was, the alarm sounded constantly & no way could I stop it or start the engine, so completely stranded.

Hopefully the New Panasonic batteries will work out good for you,

Geoff.
Hi

My Karoq has just done the same, unable to open, therefore opened manually and alarm sounded. Managed to get it going by pressing fob on steering barrel. Put a new (cheap) battery in but still no joy. Going to try Duracell or Panasonic battery. My key has failed previously but never has the alarm sounded. How did you get on with the yours afterwards as this is becoming irritating.

Thanks

Michelle
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

Hi Michelle,

our Karoq has been fine, no problem with a Panasonic battery. Plus still have spare battery/batteries in the glove box just in case it happens away from home.
Electric tailgate, another story. The tailgate failed to close, just beeped 3 times. This is the second time this has happened & turned out to be the same problem. The repair I made to the damaged wiring had failed, 2 broken wires again.
Fixed it again by joining the wires & insulating them with heat shrink.
Mr Happy

Post by Mr Happy »

I have got into the habit of replacing my fob batteries every year.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Mr Happy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:47 pm I have got into the habit of replacing my fob batteries every year.
This became one of my Christmas jobs. New Panasonic batteries every Christmas and no problems since.

I have now solved the issue permanently by selling the Karoq. I got a good price for it from a Skoda main dealer two weeks before it was due for the (very expensive) cam belt change and main service.

I enjoyed the Karoq, but it never had the "personality" of the Yeti that preceded it and I won't miss the overpriced servicing bills.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

And you BOUGHT WHAT?
Biggest mistake Skoda ever made stopping the Yeti! :cry:
Interested as I finally had enough of Skoda build* quality and expensive servicing. I have since had HR-V hybrid, CR-V hybrid , Now eNiro.
* Generally considered in the trade that ALL VAG build quality is not what it used to be. As witnessed by all the moans on the Yeti forum, original Kodiaq forum and to a lesser extent here.
In my 8 Skodas I never had any serious problems , just annoying little niggles that were usually very difficult to cure.
(Yeti 2 DSG started 'grumbling' got shot immediately. Yeti 3 wiper mind of it's own, Kodiaq electric boot lid , mind of it's own, SOS button non functioning, pop out door guards fell off. Karoq 2 electric drivers seat memory u/s.)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I decided not to pour loads of money into a new car this time. It just did not seem like a good idea with ICE cars likely to become too expensive to run when the government decided they can't con the rest of us into Electric cars and ramps up the fuel duty "to encourage us to be green".

There are no electric cars at a price I can afford that will do what I want (carry a couple of sea kayaks two hundred miles then sit by a beach for a few hours before carrying them back without having to waste time in service areas).

So I took the money I got for the K and found a high-specification S-Max Vignale for the same amount. It's an oil burner (sorry Colin) but does not require Ad-Blu and is ULEZ compliant according to the government website. The dogs have far more room in the boot with the third row of seats folded than in the Karoq and it shifts huge piles of kit with ease while returning similar MPG to the Karoq. The toy list is far more comprehensive than the Skoda (including air-conditioned massage seats in the front). servicing I cheaper and less frequent than the Skoda and, so far, I am loving it (4 months and 5,000 miles to date).

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Whomovedmycoffee

Post by Whomovedmycoffee »

Hi

Sadly I have found this forum as I’ve just encountered same issue with my Karoq locking system.

I bought the car in March…took it for MOT yesterday and asked them to look into intermittent car locking issues…the Kessie (?) system on drivers side is temperamental to say the least.

On talking to service dept (they had to come and collect spare key as they managed to lock my other key in the car!)….it turns out locking system was replaced in December 2022…so surely this is in warranty? Why is a buyer not told this has been replaced? Will this be done under warranty at no cost to me?

I’m really worried as I bought this car so I wouldn’t have to have unexpected extra bills of maintenance and unreliability as I’m a carer, am self employed and running a charity.

I’m worried I’ve bought a lemon!

I have just ordered Panasonic batteries for keys…service had to keep my car overnight as they haven’t solved it as yet but just checking I shouldn’t be paying for that right?
connerscl

Post by connerscl »

Hi Whomovedmycoffee

From what you describe, with the service department accidentally locking your car key inside your car, is there a self-locking issue?
I ask, as it's something I have experienced: with my two children trapped inside our Karoq on a hot summer's day. (We had to smash the passenger window glass to get them out.) Skoda eventually diagnosed an electrical fault with the car door. The car was three weeks out of warranty, MOT etc all up to date.

I'm looking to see whether this issue is more than a one-off - it appears so if these Skoda forums are anything to go by - and am hoping to speak to a few people for a newspaper piece who have experienced similar issues. Would you consider speaking to me? My email is clare.h.conway@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you

Clare

Thank you

Clare
LeeLee12

Post by LeeLee12 »

Hello
I had this happen twice, both times didn’t have a spare battery or was close to a shop.
Had to walk 2 miles to get a replacement Battery as I didn’t know that the handles had a hidden lock so you could get into the car.

👍👍🔑🔑
Alethea ❤️❤️

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post