Hardwiring Dashcam

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Demport

Post by Demport »

Would welcome any feedback on using Halfords for hardwiring - good/bad, particularly quality of work.
I'm sticking with Nextbase, as happy with several previous models although always had the plug-in variety.
Halfords quoting £214 for the 522GW dashcam, hardwiring kit, U3 SD card and fitting.
Skoda dealer £434 for the same, excluding an SD card.

2019 Karoq Edition
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

old man wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:24 pm
You shouldn't be confused - you let Halfords near your car - big mistake !!
I agree, many many years ago they fitted a car phone for me, nothing worked correctly after that so they removed it and everything was OK again.

They really don’t know what they are doing. I would suggest you either get them to remove it and then get it installed by someone who knows what they do or get it sorted by a pro and recover your costs from Halfords ( that will be a challenge)./color]
The general opinion on the 3 active Skoda SUV fora is that Halfrauds should not be allowed near anything mechanical.(not my words!)
Read here from Kodiaq forum....
https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2497&p=25970&hilit=dash+cam#p25970
Do it yourself! Also search the web for the camera you want for the cheapest. Buy the micro-SD card from EBay but make sure it is no bigger than 32Mg, is Grade 10 and a well known make such as Sandisk, Sony or any of the well known Japanese electrical companies.
Read below on tips to hard wire.......... BUT NOTE. DO NOT hard wire to the cars electrical system unless you use a voltage dropper if your chosen dash cam is designed for 12volts. Most run on 5 volts.
We Karoq owners are lucky in that we have a USB port on the centre console. This is 5 volts and is ignition controlled, whereas the cigarette lighter is 12volt and permanently live!
Good luck.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
petenkaz

Post by petenkaz »

My local skoda are doing the 522GW fitted with sd card all cables for £195 and the 422 for £177
Demport

Post by Demport »

Thanks both
petenkaz - could you point me in the friendly Skoda dealer direction please - much rather use the official route, particularly at £195

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Demport.
Where are you?? that would help people advise you.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I had my dashcam fitted by www.dashcampros.uk They posted the camera to me and then came and fitted it a day or two later. Excellent, tidy job and polite, friendly service. I could not fault them and the fitting price was rather better than the Skoda dealership wanted for fitting.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Demport

Post by Demport »

Thanks, everyone.
Not the supplying dealer, but a fairly near Skoda dealer will fit a 522GW for £205 - unit, hardwire kit, U3 microSD and fitting.
I'll report back once installed.

Demport

Post by Demport »

Dashcam installed - and impressed with Heritage Skoda, Gloucester.
Easy parking, pleasant staff and tidy fitting. All completed in an hour.