19" Crater wheels & skinny rubber. Ride comfort comments please.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
DAVE L

Post by DAVE L »

I took delivery of 1.5 DGS SEL on 1st March and did not know that the wheels had been changed on the MY21 model to 19inch , the brochure stated 18inch wheels
I would never specify 19inch rims mainly due to comfort and exposure to curb damage

As soon as I drove the car away I realised the ride comfort had been spoiled by the specification change, certainly for a 75 year old chap
I came to arrangements with the dealership to change the wheels to 18inch , and it is a different car altogether, so my advice if you want
comfort over looks avoid the 19inch wheels if possible
Happy Customer

jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I picked up my 1.5 TSI SEL DSG a week ago Dave. I'm sure it has 18's. In fact I'm going to check. I do find the ride a bit hard on our shocking roads, but it's not bothering me at the moment. I dread kerbing it but I managed three and a half years with the big Sorento I had without any kerb damage to the wheels, so keep my fingers crossed.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

The only real danger of curbing is with the bluddy stupid 40 or 45 aspect 'rubber bands'.
Sensible/comfortable tyres will protrude beyond the rims.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
e999sam

Post by e999sam »

I picked my 1.5 DSG SEL at the beginning of Feb. I’d seen conflicting information about which wheels I would get. Ended up with 18 inch which I was happy about. To be fair it wouldn’t have bothered me if they’d been 17 but definitely not 19.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

According to the brochures, SE Ls changed to 19 inch Crater wheels at the start of the MY21 production in August, then switched back to the previous 18 inch Braga wheels in the December 2020 & February 2021 brochures.

The 19 inch wheels have 225/40 tyres on FWD cars and 225/45 tyres on 4x4s, while the 18 inch wheels have 215/50 tyres on FWD cars and 225/50 tyres on 4x4s.

I was pretty concerned about kerbing my diamond cut Vega wheels, but am glad to see that the Bridgestone Dueler tyres fitted to them have a pronounced rubber guard band that protrudes beyond the alloy wheel itself, so should stop the alloy coming into contact with a kerb unless I really thump it.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

Well I for one am perfectly happy with the 19'' Craters on our Karoq. Don't experience a spine breaking ride - roadholding is good, acceping its on summer tyres (Turanzas) - and, best of all, they are easy to clean with room enough between the barrel and outside of the brake calliper to get my cleaning tool into. No diamond cutting to start corrosion creeping in - only downside is the lack of protection from kerbing. We just have to be careful parking and remember to keep cash on us so we can afford the taxi ride from the car across to the pavement!!!
officeboy

Post by officeboy »

wakev wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am Looking to change my Bridgestones to all seasons later in the year, can only find two makes in that size, hoping Goodyear or Michelin will do them soon.
Found the all seasons gave a better ride on the yeti so maybe even more of a improvement on the Karoq, not that I have a problem with the ride, still think it’s better than the yeti.
Getting a new Karoq SE.L in new year, this will have 215-50-18" summer tyres on. Have found a local tyre supplier that will do a swap for all season 215-55-18" with a bit of financial adjustment. as we caravan these are a better tyre and a better ride for us
The change from 50 aspect to 55 is 3% reduction on the speedo so should be more accurate.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

24 VRT wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:06 pm Well I for one am perfectly happy with the 19'' Craters on our Karoq. Don't experience a spine breaking ride - roadholding is good, acceping its on summer tyres (Turanzas) - and, best of all, they are easy to clean with room enough between the barrel and outside of the brake calliper to get my cleaning tool into. No diamond cutting to start corrosion creeping in - only downside is the lack of protection from kerbing. We just have to be careful parking and remember to keep cash on us so we can afford the taxi ride from the car across to the pavement!!!
I kerbed my Crater wheels very shortly after I took delivery when I was forced into the kerb by an ambulance on a blue light run. I took it to a refurbisher, and was very surprised to be told that, despite me thinking otherwise, that the wheels are diamond cut. I thought it meant that they has some kind of patttern cut into them, but apparently not. Chap did do a good job!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post