Fitting a Tow Bar to a 2018 1.5 TSI SEL

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Loubaruch

Post by Loubaruch »

I have read the posts regarding the fitting of a tow bar and it would appear far from a trivial process.

I just wish to pull a small camping trailer with 7 pin electrics as its useful for taking stuff to the tip and collecting straw etc.

I have had a quote of £300+Vat from a trailer fitting company but reading the other posts am wondering whether it is wise to go down this road.

The Skoda fitted tow bar seems to be all singing and dancing with wiring via a 13 pin socket for full functionality to a caravan etc. I can see the need to take fused power from the main fuse box and integrate the extra wiring with the Karoq system and recode etc.

Is all of this necessary for a simple camping trailer or is there a simpler solution that does not compromise the existing electrics.

Thanks for any advice

Paul

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

The coding is the important bit. From memory it disables the reversing sensors and possibly does something to the lighting, fogs and reverse lights?

Don’t know what it does re the car warranty.

My main dealer only offers the electric deployable towbar, at a price!

Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
clacson

Post by clacson »

Loubaruch wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:10 pm I have read the posts regarding the fitting of a tow bar and it would appear far from a trivial process.

I just wish to pull a small camping trailer with 7 pin electrics as its useful for taking stuff to the tip and collecting straw etc.

I have had a quote of £300+Vat from a trailer fitting company but reading the other posts am wondering whether it is wise to go down this road.

The Skoda fitted tow bar seems to be all singing and dancing with wiring via a 13 pin socket for full functionality to a caravan etc. I can see the need to take fused power from the main fuse box and integrate the extra wiring with the Karoq system and recode etc.

Is all of this necessary for a simple camping trailer or is there a simpler solution that does not compromise the existing electrics.

Thanks for any advice

Paul
You can find adapters from car-13pin to trailer-7pin. You can ask the dealer if this is compatible with the Karoq socket wiring.
--- Skoda Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Style Quartz Grey my2019 ---

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post