Unable to open fuel filler flap

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I would moan at the dealer and ask why you needed to open the fuel filler cap so soon. Given the price of new cars, they could at least have filled it up for you...

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Ian,
You jest!
When did you last get a new car with a full tank? That would cost the dealer £50-60!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

kodiaq wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:13 pm Ian,
You jest!
When did you last get a new car with a full tank? That would cost the dealer £50-60!
Last time I took delivery. And the time before that...

...I tend to make it the final hurdle that will seal the deal, if they want the sale they will give in :)

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
branit

Post by branit »

Yes, I have had the problem this week (July 21) and referred it to my Skoda dealer. It was assessed and within 20 minutes I was advised that the unit had "failed" and would have to be replaced. The cost to supply and fit would be €150. I think this is a very fundamental part of any vehicle and it ought not to fail on a car which is just out of 3-year warranty, with low mileage. If I was using the flap daily over 3 years it could make sense. I declined the offer to replace the unit and was given a plastic key tag and advised that if I slot this in between the flap and the car body, it will pull the flap open on retrieval. I am going with this for time being. €150 is ludicrous!
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Skoda's system is ludicrously over engineered. as you lock/unlock the car the locking bar, operated by a solenoid CORKSCREWS in and out with a double lug on the end which screws itself in and out of the tongue on the lid. this unit can seize up and mere solenoid power is not sufficient to break it free. The RAC man had to prize mine open, which of course snapped the lug. He did it in seconds without damaging the paint. So one must ask oneself WHAT is the point of having it locking? SIMPLY STUPID SKODA!!
Honda's system is far simpler. No twist, it just pops in and out.
Luckily there is an anti-syphon coil in the fill pipe so a locking flap is completely unnecessary and a thief trying to get in will do so with ease and will probably damage the paintwork.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Sounds like there's a case for preventative maintenance - to lubricate the twisting bar. Would powdered graphite (lock lubricant) affect the solenoid I wonder, or would WD40 be better?
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

CJJE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:12 pm Sounds like there's a case for preventative maintenance - to lubricate the twisting bar. Would powdered graphite (lock lubricant) affect the solenoid I wonder, or would WD40 be better?
Silicane lubricant would be better. WD40 is really a water dispersant, not a lubricant, although it is ok for some purposes.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Routemaster1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:18 pm Silicane lubricant would be better. WD40 is really a water dispersant, not a lubricant, although it is ok for some purposes.
Thanks.
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post