Faulty satnav

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
nrichardson14

Post by nrichardson14 »

Hi,
I've got a Karoq registered June 2018. I have a major problem with the satnav, quite often I programme in a destination and despite whether I use the red or green options it takes me on bizarre and illogical routes. It is so bad that I don't trust it now and have Google maps running on my phone at same time.
Disgusting really because we paid for the feature and it doesnt work. Have checked with dealer and the main Skoda help people but it sounds like an Amundsen satellite fault rather than the in-car unit.
eg: directed off a motorway to go 100 yards to roundabout then 4th turning straight back on to motorway ... not once but about 3 succesive junctions on the A12. No roadworks, not traffic holdups, noot new junctions or stretches of road! Went the same route 2 months later and same fault.

Similar things on other roads. Absolutely useless bit of kit.

Any help or comments welcome. Just wish I could get the telephone maps to feed back to the screen somehow.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Yup, that's normal. The SatNav is OK, but you have to manage it a little as it will do things like take you off a road just to bring you back on again in order to save a couple of yards or seconds.

If I am planning a complex route I generally get my trusty Garmin out.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
nrichardson14

Post by nrichardson14 »

Thanks Ian, not very reassuring though - mine doesnt save seconds, it adds minutes! Speaking to Skoda head office, they cant do anything and won't confirm if others are having same problem.
FurnitureGirl

Post by FurnitureGirl »

A quick glance at the mapping screen every now and again will show if any 'off - on' detours are about to be made and I always zoom out after the 'calculation' has been made just to check a; we are going to the same place and b; there's nothing quirky/amiss about the planned route line.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

There is still a lot to be said for having a mental map of the route you intend rather than blindly relying on the technology. Checking the route is sensible is a good idea, I have seen many different mapping systems try to take routes that are overly biased towards minimum distance (and use lanes too small for sensible drivers) or motorways that take drivers miles out of their way. Once you are aware of the silly local detour habit of the navigation software it is easy to avoid it by simply looking at the map display and ignoring daft instructions.

As for Skoda the general response to any reported problems it "We've not heard of that before..."

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post