High idle when cold.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
MTaylor26

Post by MTaylor26 »

I purchased a Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi Se l in April everything been fine but noticed recently when outside temperature drops to 5 degrees and below that the engine idles at just over 1000 rpm instead of the normal 850 rpm. In car menu it does say power consumption is high but I have nothing more running than when outside temp is higher, also mentions passenger department not being at a comfortable temp but turning climate control down makes no difference? This evening idle was high but stop start was active? My mpg reduces dramatically when idling high. Appreciate some assistance to date like the car so don’t want to be told this will be the norm for winter months.

Bob Spence

Post by Bob Spence »

I have exactly same on my 1.6TDI SEL - Have experimented and can tell you following.
From stone cold any form of heating manual or auto will result in 1000rpm idle. Turn everything off and idle is 750rpm. Heated seat on and nothing else idle is 750rpm.
Heater on idle is 1000 - turn it off and immediately drops to 750. Once temp gauge up to normal running temp idle is 750 irrespective of heater - lights etc. It is mentioned in handbooked as means of ECU ensuring battery is not discharged! Very annoying as car "pulls" at 1000rpm due to extremely high gearing. I have not however noticed any drop in mpg EXCEPT during DPF regen.
Don't forget that a DPF regeneration will also result in 1000rpm continuously until the regen is complete. This will continue on next journey if you interrupt it. MPG drops dramatically to 35-45mpg during regeneration and engine will reach normal temp very quickly.
MTaylor26

Post by MTaylor26 »

Hi Bob, thanks for reply. I have had previous new diesel company cars and never experienced idling increase in the cold start/stop has not come on But as I say not idled high. I tried out what you said about turning of climate control and revs did drop.
With regards higher mpg you can see it if you go to convienience consumers in car menu shows fuel usage up to 1/4 gal/hr high idle with climate control on auto green bar is half way up 1/8 gal/hr? turn off climate control and green bar disappears. High idling is mentioned in the handbook against climate control. Looks like I am going to have to live with it during the winter months which is a pain because my mpg does drop of by 10 mpg on local journeys made the comparison.
Bob Spence

Post by Bob Spence »

Agreed - I've had many diesels last one being a Sportage and non behaved this way however it's clear the Karoq is designed to do this in cold weather.
MPG will always suffer in cold weather as optimum only achieved when engine hot and always takes longer in cold so expect 5-10% drop during winter.
Having said this I love the car and the high idle is a minor irritation in the grand scheme of things. I've got into habit of using heated seat rather than the heater !!
andren15

Post by andren15 »

Hi all, this is not a malfunction but a comfort option.
You have the automatic supplementary heating function ON, option that many other diesels don't have.
This heats the air in the cabin via an electric module when outside is below 5C and engine temp bellow 60C.
During this phase, in order to compensate for the high electrical consumption, the engine iddles at higher rpm.
Once the engine is warm it turns off.
Press the menu button on the climate control knob, the one where you set the fan speed and you will get a hidden menu, if you want to turn off the option.
However, this is a fantastic option, it makes the inside of the car confortabile much quicker, I would say a bit faster than on a gasoline engine.
Bob Spence

Post by Bob Spence »

Brilliant update by Andren -thank you so much .
Turned off auxiliary heater from air con menu and hey presto all is well. No fast idle and car seems to run much better from cold. Idle is now 750rpm irrespective of what else is turned on.
MTaylor26

Post by MTaylor26 »

Thanks Andren very helpful I will try in the morning.
andren15

Post by andren15 »

Happy to help

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post