Amundsen actual speed display? Compass?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
2968mogul

Post by 2968mogul »

Hi all

After an eight month wait for my SEL 1.5TSI DSG there are two things (so far, after two days) that I'd like to change but can't. The Handbook doesn't help...

Can the navigation show actual speed? My Tomtom does and I've come to rely on it, especially in the 50mph average speed check areas on the M6.

Can I get rid of the compass display on the dash and, hopefully, replace it with something more useful? Knowing which compass point I'm heading towards is low on my list of needs!

I've a feeling the answer to both of these is No but I live in hope. I've learnt to do that after 8 months of uncertainty!! ;)

Thanks
Peter
Karog 1.5TSi SEL DSG Quartz grey

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I do not know how to solve the compass issue, but it takes up very little space so hopefully, it is not a big issue for you.

The actual speed display is easily fixed; take your TomTom! The built-in navigation has a habit of taking you off motorways and straight back on at the far side of the junction and has recommended similar ludicrous diversions off main roads through the centre of small towns an villages only to rejoin the same road the far side of town. And that is not because it is looking for the shortest route as the diversions are frequently longer than the sensible route. If I actually need the GPS for route planning, I get my trusty old £80 Garmin out, its' recommended routes are generally far more sensible.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
2968mogul

Post by 2968mogul »

Thanks milfmog! I've only used the satnav once seriously and we did spend rather a lot of time in the middle of Congleton when we could have gone round the edge. Maybe I'll resurrect Tom...😕
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Mogul,
I'm afraid you were correct the answers are 'NO' & 'NO'!

It is ridiculous that although they show speed limit signs they don't show actual speed.
I have never come across any in car system that does show the speed.As you say TomTom and Garmin do so why not the inbuilt ones????
You will soon come to ignore the compass point I think, I have!
If speed watching is more your thing you can change the MFD to show speed in 'BIG' between the speedo and RPM.
Or you can get GPS speedometer apps for your smart phone which will give you the TRUE speed.
I have tested both my Kodiaq & my Karoq agains GPS speed and both are about 2mph FAST up to about 60 then about 3mph fast. But don't blame me if your car is different.
I believe speedos, are by law, designed to be an average of 2mph optimistic.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Southwestdave

Post by Southwestdave »

I tend to use the apple car play and use the gps on that’s
2968mogul

Post by 2968mogul »

Thanks everyone! No doubt Skoda will contact me at some point an ask me how it's all going so I'll put that on the list. Not that I have a list yet. All is fine.....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post