Kangaroo movements in first gear. Solution. see page 2.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Dadscar46

Post by Dadscar46 »

I have had my Karoq 1.5SE for nearly 3 months (1600 miles on clock). It has been a joy to drive but I do have one irritating feature which I read so well described in a post on Briskoda.Net recently as follows:-

"I wondered if other owners of 1.5 manual Karoq owners were having issues when pulling away on first gear. I just can't do it smoothly. I've tried low revs, high revs and just using the torque of the engine but to no avail. It's hard to explain what happens but I will try. I get the clutch bite point and go to increase the revs as I slowly lift the clutch further but the revs either jump up or bottom out and I "kangaroo" as if I'm a learner driver all other again. I have no issues in other gears as I change into them. Is it because the car is so new? It does get better when the car is warm but doesn't fully go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. "

Does anyone in this forum experience this problem and, if so, do you have any explanation for the kangaroo habit. I have not mentioned it to the dealership yet, pending any replies to this post.

Mr H

Post by Mr H »

Just wonder if it could be due to the release of the electric handbrake not happening quick enough. Have mot had this problem myself though.
Lulubelle

Post by Lulubelle »

I have a similar issue when I go off in first gear and it may be down to the electronic brake release and me just getting plain used to it. But it’s smooth on an uphill slope moving off ...just a gentle kangaroo bounce on a flat surface.
Skoda Karoq, SE TSI 150, Candy White, Manual [June 2018 delivery]
Martin1199

Post by Martin1199 »

This is the same issue I am getting. You cannot move in slow traffic as when you try to move on the slight throttle the can just lurg=ches backwards and forwards. I have flagged this up and have been told that Skoda did have an update but then withdrew it and are working so called on another one. So my advice is that go to your dealer and tell them this. keep on to them as they will try and fog you off. If enough of us complain them perhaps Skoda might get on and do something. It is a fault that Skoda knows about and they just dragging their heals.
Martin1199

Post by Martin1199 »

Forgot to say it's not due to the handbrake it is a fault. I have had 6 Skoda and none of them has been like this model.
LittleOwl

Post by LittleOwl »

Our Karoq 1.5 TSI manual only 2 weeks old and kangaroos every time you pull away in first gear from cold engine. Extremely annoying and potentially dangerous as you cannot pull away quickly. This issue is being dscussed a lot on other Karoq forums eg briskoda. Rumour has it Skoda are aware of the problem but do not have a fix! Local dealerships seem to vary on whether they acknowledge problem. A guy in Ireland reports he got a full refund because of problem. We are taking car back to dealership to be looked at but are not optimistic of fix. If you have this problem you must report it. The more people that complain the harder it is for Skoda to ignore that this problem is real.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Mine is DSG and when staring from cold I get a slight hesitation, not as bad as Kangaroo-ing, Mpre like a gentle repeated hiccup!.
It lasts a couple of 100 yards and then disappears. Probably not the same thing.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

kodiaq wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:37 am Mine is DSG and when staring from cold I get a slight hesitation, not as bad as Kangaroo-ing, Mpre like a gentle repeated hiccup!.
It lasts a couple of 100 yards and then disappears. Probably not the same thing.
Started noticing that myself more recently as well. Doesn't bother me at the moment fortunately and like you say, goes away pretty quickly
Cheers
Mike
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I'm not sure what could be causing this, but this morning. I gave it fairly brisk acceleration from rest (when cold) and it didn't do it. By the time I reached the next junction (500 yards) and stopped, it was fine on pulling away.
Anybody else had this?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I can't say that I have noticed any hesitation or kangarooing. However, it may be worth noting that I tend to be fairly sympathetic to cold engines and tend not to ask them to work hard before the oil has had a few minutes to start warming up and to reach all the nooks and crannies in the engine.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670