1.5 SEL DEG Random emergency braking

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Petebog

Post by Petebog »

We got our new Karoq 1.5 SEL DSG with adaptive cruise control, at the beggining of July. We have done 1400 miles.
On two occasions the automatic safety braking has activated for no reason. Thankfully it happened at slow speed and only for a second or two and there was no other vehicles behind us at the time. Its very disturbing as we do not know if or when it might happen again.
Has anyone else had this problem and is there a resolution to this problem.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Petebog,

I have not experienced this. I did have the brakes over-ride me once when I was parking which was kind of spooky but they allowed me to continue the manoeuvre without issue. Unfortunately, I suspect that there are many things to consider when trying to understand this, for instance:

• When the safety braking kicked in what was going on?
  • Was ACC turned on?
  • Was ACC engaged (active)?
  • How fast were you travelling?
  • Were you on a Motorway, wide road, narrow lane?
  • Was there opposing traffic (and where?)
  • How far away was the car in front (if there was one)?
  • What was the car in front doing?
  • Was there a sharp bend or something in the road that could have triggered it?
  • Was the front assistant active?
  • What sensitivity was the front assistant set to?
  • What was displayed on the MFD between the dials while the brakes were applied?
  • Did any other warning lights show up?
  • What were the conditions like? (Dark? Rain? Spray? Windy?)

If you can answer as many of the above questions as possible we may be able to understand the issue better. However, I think my first suggestion would be to look at the sensitivity of the front assistant rather than being concerned about the ACC, I used to get lots of collision warnings at bends in narrow lanes when I had this set to maximum sensitivity (although it never went as far as to apply the brakes), reducing the sensitivity to the middle setting has almost totally eliminated those spurious warnings. (I was getting half a dozen warnings each way on my commute through the lanes, now I may get one every couple of weeks, usually due to another driver who thinks he deserves the entire road).

It might also be worth a call to your dealer to see if anything has been recorded in the car's event/error logs that would help to diagnose the cause (I hesitate to call it an error until we know a little more about the set up and conditions). If nothing else a call to the dealer would make them aware of the issue and, should the worst happen and you have an accident as a result of this you would be in a better position.

Hope that helps in some way...

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Petebog

Post by Petebog »

Thanks for detailed reply Ian.
To answer a few of your questions.
The ACC was not active.
Speed was about 15-20mph.
On both occasions the car was in a gentle right turn.
On both occasions we were on country lanes, no curb or pavement, just hedgerows and fence.
No vehicles in front and no oncoming traffic.
No obstructions.
The front assist was/is active.
The front assist was set to Med. I have changed it to Late.
It happened and went off so quickly that it was difficult to see what came up on the MFD, although I recall a red flash of an alarm showing an obstruction ahead and the application of the brakes.
On both occasions it was a clear sunny day.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Petebog,

Thanks for the additional information.

I would guess that it is probably to do with the right-hand turn bringing you closer to something in the hedge (sticking out branch?) than the car liked. Has it happened since you turned down the sensitivity of the Front Assistant? Had you been getting alarms (big red warnings on the MFD) without the brakes being applied? (Something I saw a lot of before turning the sensitivity down).

I think I'd be inclined to drop the dealer an email so that you have a written record that it has happened (give him the information you have above) I would expect the dealer to call you to talk it through or ask you to bring the car in to check the logs. I don't know if the service team will have any tools to check the sensitivity/calibration of the Front Assist System, but it would be worth asking that and seeing if you can persuade them to check that everything is set as it should be.

I don't think there is much else you can do one you've made the sensitivity adjustment apart from keeping the sensor area clean.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Petebog

Post by Petebog »

Many thanks for your help Ian. I have only used the Karoq once since I adjusted the sensitivity of the front assist.
I took the same route and nothing happened when I went around the corner where the brakes were triggered previously. Just hope the problem has gone. I will contact the local amin dealer to let them know what happened.
Thanks agin.

Pete
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi, I must say how worried I am about this, I've just bought a brand new nissan quahqui and picked it up with 5 Miles on clock from.dealers on 30th July 18 on way home from dealership doing 70mph down the motorway the cars auto breaks slammed on nearly causing a major crash. Needless to say I went mad at the dealer and Nissan who took the car back waited 7 days before they would even.look at it, sent them hire bill and then they confirmed faulty radar system so replaced it. Anyways for car back and same happened again so I ordered a skoda karoq sel manual 1.6tdi in the middle of July and lucky as got a build week 34 , 20th Aug 18 and skoda confirmed yesterday car is built and is a my19 model dew at dealers around end Sept, but if their are issues with the skoda breaking system too I'm starting to worry, as Nissan are taking this car back and I don't want to be stuck with another car with the same issues.
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

Nick. I've not had any problems with it so far and it has actually helped me out once as supposed to
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
ciderlout56

Post by ciderlout56 »

This happened to me in my Golf. A crisp packet had blown onto the radar sensor on the front of the car which made the car emergency brake. Very frightening experience even though I was only doing 35 mph.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

This is a not uncommon problem on the Kodiaq forum.
It has happened to me twice, both times on a right hand bend in a country lane.
I went back and repeated to drive,paying more attention to the circumstances. It turned out it was caused by a wooden reflector post on the left hand verge.
Wise to reset the distance. If it keeps happening ......back to the dealer, is my suggestion.
Too much un-proven tech on cars these days IMHO!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Martin1199

Post by Martin1199 »

This is not unusual as mine would detect cars in the second lane of the motorway when I was in the first lane and slam the brakes on and I was doing 30mph in the Birmingham roadworks and the system failed to detect the car in front and just kept going. Skoda says we cannot replicate the fault as we are not going to sit beside you on the motorway to see if it happens. So hard luck. This is and must be an urgent recall as this is dangerous. It means I cannot use my cruise control and that means I have paid for something I cannot us. My car is the 1.5 man 8 weeks old 6000 miles on the clock.