Hardwiring dashcam

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Karob

Post by Karob »

I have a nextbase hard wire kit from Amazon and an old Mobius action/dashcam (with mini USB) and attempted to install it,.

Here is what I did - it might be useful. Not sure if there is a better way to do it. Comments welcome.

I stuck the dashcam in place to the left of the mirror. Karoq's blades wipe quite high so there is no problem with visibility. I run the wire along the roof trim (head lining?) tucking it under with the help of the blunt end of a spoon. The A pillar has an airbag running down into it so I didn't want to wire across the top for safety reasons. A deploying airbag would just push a cable out the way I think but I don't want to risk it. So I took it down the front of the A pillar trim tucking it between the trim and windscreen.

I pulled the trim off a bit but didn't want to use any more force so I don't know if I can continue going down from there. Instead I brought the cable over the top of the dash against the trim into the door frame's rubber seal. Slightly ugly but not too bad.

From there I tucked under the rubber down to the vicinity of the bonnet release and took it under the dash.

I located the instructions to release and lower the glovebox in the manual. The spoon handle helped to depress the stoppers on the sides to allow the box to drop.

I couldn't see any earth points except a single bolt with a torx head which I think secures the glove box. It appears to go into metal so I loosened it with a long driver and pushed on the spade connector of the kit's wire.

Instructions said a fuse rated less than 20 was best - the rear wiper (rated 15) seemed a good location. I think it is no 47 in the manual. So I pulled it out and piggybacked it.

Finally I bundled up all the loose cable and tied it and it sits nicely in a space at the base of the fuse box area.

Tested that it comes on and off with ignition and that footage is clear :D

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thank you for that Karob,

I am due to collect my car tomorrow and intend to install front and rear dash cams sooner rather than later. I am currently gravitating towards a Thinkware F77 2CH that includes GPS tracking but wondered whether the heated front screen would have a detrimental effect on the GPS reception. Does anyone have any experience of GPS receivers under a heated screen? Is signal degradation a problem?

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Harry T

Post by Harry T »

I am thinking also fitting Thinkware F77, I saw in Watford Skoda show room fitted on a side window of karok, can anybody suggest where I can my dashcam fitted? Halfords fits only limited ranges of their cameras provided you buy whole package from them including fitting kit, sim card and fitting charges
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hughes Skoda recommended Car Concepts in Aylesbury to fit the dash cam, the guy to speak to is Paul, who was described as very helpful and knowledgeable. Their phone number is 01296 436311. I guess they are not a million miles from you.

I was quoted £125 to fit the 2 channel version of the F770 (front and rear cams). I have also had a supply and fit quote from www.dashcampros.uk (£361.98). They will come to me to fit the system. They seem to have reasonable online reviews but I am probably going to go with Car Concepts as there is no significant difference in price.

Hope that helps,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

Karob

Post by Karob »

@Milfmog Heated front screen should not have any affect on GPS reception. Out of interest I know that chainlink fences can cause problems when using survey grade GPS equipment (won't go into technicalities) but that is another kettle of fish! Also out of interest is that a metallic UV coating on a windscreen reflects GPS signals. Very rare and I only ever had that once in a rental vehicle in the Med.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Had Nextbase Cam in my Yeti with heated screen - no issue with GPS signal at all. Also use Garmin GPS and it's signal reception is also absolutely fine. Only ever struggled with cars which have film coated screens - usually PSA cars and that was some years ago.
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thank you Folks,

I have ordered the dashcam and should have it fitted in the next week or so.

Have fun,

Ian.

Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

Harry T wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:24 am I am thinking also fitting Thinkware F77, I saw in Watford Skoda show room fitted on a side window of karok, can anybody suggest where I can my dashcam fitted? Halfords fits only limited ranges of their cameras provided you buy whole package from them including fitting kit, sim card and fitting charges
I know it was probably only for show but be very careful where you place your dashcam, Kent Roads Police have been highlighting that dashcams should only be on the windscreen near the rear view mirror otherwise they are illegal, the same as phones can only be in holders to the right of the steering wheel near the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen. It is to do with obstructing sight lines, they are very hot down here at pulling over lorries that have "stuff" all over their dashboards and the pennants hanging down their windscreens and have tweeted photos of cars with wrongly placed mobiles and dashcams.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
Karob

Post by Karob »

Womanofkent wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 am
I know it was probably only for show but be very careful where you place your dashcam, Kent Roads Police have been highlighting that dashcams should only be on the windscreen near the rear view mirror .... have tweeted photos of cars with wrongly placed mobiles and dashcams.
I would say they are inventing Laws! Manchester Police was in trouble recently for tweeting that SatNavs should be bottom right "everywhere else is illegal" The law doesn't actually say specifically where a SatNav (or dashcam etc) should or should not be placed. But you can be fined and get points if it obscures your vision so just common sense really.
For a dashcam I think next to the rear view mirror is out the way, elevated enough to have a clear view assuming it is not outside the area covered by wipers. I hate seeing a car in front with cables dangling straight down - very distracting!
MikeSen

Post by MikeSen »

I have fitted an Aukey Dual dashcam with the plugin GPS module .The GPS module being fixed (glue pad) to the top left hand side of the front heated windscreen of my Karog and the heated screen does not affect reception Hope this helps