Petrol Tsi engines

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Muzz

Post by Muzz »

Hi everyone
Just ordered my new Karoq Edition 1.5 Tsi yesterday and was told I will have to wait 18 to 20 weeks for delivery.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the petrol engines have a particulate filter fitted on them yet, as the VW group want to start fitting them on petrol as well as diesel.

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Just taken delivery of 1.0L SE not aware of it having one (wouldn't want one either as one of reasons changed from Diesel Yeti) will try to find out
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

On the 'other' Karoq forum someone noted that the 2019 spec engine will have a particle filter (glad mine doesn't)
supreme

Post by supreme »

Grumpy wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:32 pm On the 'other' Karoq forum someone noted that the 2019 spec engine will have a particle filter (glad mine doesn't)
Its not Karoq or Skoda specific. From 2019 ALL petrol engines must have particle filter also. Thats why MY19 model are already built with that. I'm also glad i got my Karoq before new model. I had Diesel car before and that DPF was just pure nightmare if you did short trips a lot. It was added to diesel cars to lower co2 but never fully tested in any driving style. I fear it will be problem for petrol also because its not fully tested long enough.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

It is funny that so many people complain about the particulate filters on diesels. I am sure that for the vast majority of people they were not an issue at all.None on the dpf equipped cars I have had ove the years has had any issues, including the wife's cars which are generally only ever used for relatively short journeys.
I would assume that the petrol dpfs will be less hardworking than the diesel versions though, so perhaps will not cause any issues. (hopefully|).
The wife's new 1.0 DSG was delivered yesterday and doesn't have a dpf. It will just have to pollute the planet for the next 3 years!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Didn't have any issues either. The VW fix had noticeably increased the workload on the DPF (and presumably the EGR also). On the 4 x 4 Yeti they were about £1000.each to replace if they failed - a risk I would rather not have. Petrol ones as you say should less 'worked' but they will be sized down to suit. I just prefer not to have the risk.