stop start not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Mr Happy

Post by Mr Happy »

My stop start system is not working when i stop anyone else had this problem and is it an easy fix

mic44

Post by mic44 »

If you have been doing short trips , the battery dose not fully charge up , so wont work , have a good run then should be ok .
Mr Happy

Post by Mr Happy »

Ok thanks for that most of my trips are not very far, so will take note next time I do a long run
Soup

Post by Soup »

I'm not entirely sure that the occasional long run is going to cut the mustard, really.

Assuming the problem is indeed the battery being insufficiently charged and not one of the almost infinite combinations of factors that prevents the start/stop operating by design, that is.

If your pattern of journeys remains more or less the same, it'll likely happen again.

A better solution might be to invest in a decent battery charger (like a CTEK MXS 5.0) and give the battery a decent blast with that on a reasonably regular basis. They aren't particularly cheap, but if you shop around you can get one for not much more than a tankful of fuel.

I've had this exact issue on the Karoq I've got now and on a previous Audi A3.

The Karoq's problem was exacerbated by it sitting unused at the back of the dealer's yard for almost three months - a week after picking it up brand spankers - while it waited for a major part, and the poor old battery never really got over that, refusing to hold a decent charge in the end.

I replaced it with an AGM a little while ago and, as expected, everything - including the start/stop - bursts into life almost before you need it.

I got away with it on the A3, but only just.

I reckon start/stop is a pain in the arse anyway and turn it off straight away, but that's just me.

I've lost count of the number of times it's killed the engine in traffic just when I've needed it the most, and I'd disable it for good if the software would let me.

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

The stop/start on my low mileage, mainly short journeys (20000 miles in 5 years), 1.5 Tsi Karoq rarely works.
Remember charging only takes place when other demands on the engine are low.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Most people are delighted if the 'Start/stop function won't work. I found it a pain in the backside and on some occasions it can be downright dangerous.
It has been proved that it does not save fuel and it is merely a sop to the global warming brigade. (yes I am a believer in global warming)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Mr Happy

Post by Mr Happy »

Thank's for all your replies, with hindsight the stop start facility is a pain in the butt, so I will turn it of in future
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

To back up my comment above see the following thread from the Yeti Forum.
https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/thread ... ost-178051
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

If you decide on the battery charging solution I got a smart charger in Lidl for around £14.00. Works really well - I use it on wife's Citigo which has aired battery and it is safe to use (on my cars) without having to disconnect the battery.

Hope that helps - I also agree that stop start is a pain and I'm sure it contributed to the turbo failure on my Karoq
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post