Skoda karoq 1500cc gasoline transmission noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
giokostas

Post by giokostas »

Hi all! I'm new here and new owner of a skoda karoq 1500cc manual transmission of 2022.

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find similar so I'm starting a new topic.

The issue is a rattle noise when I have gear on ( no matter what gear ) from the transmission which becomes

louder when switching between gears. The sound stops when I press the clutch.

I went to my car dealer, they spotted the noise and they told me that skoda knows about it and they consider it as normal

and that many models have it.

So my question is, does anyone else has the same issue or is just me? They just offered to add some screws and PROBABLY

will fix the issue.

I'm posting a video of the noise, camera is not so good so you will hear wind, but you can hear a metallic noise

along the video.

Any help appreciated

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Welcome to the forum.

Noise is very subjective, and what some people find worrying may be completely normal to others (who are used to noisier cars perhaps?). I own the 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4 Karoq so cannot comment on the noises you are hearing from my own experience. But if you bought your car from a Skoda dealer, did you have a test drive in it first? How does it compare with other cars he has on sale? Are you still within a cooling off period to reject the car?

I understand from your post in another forum that you live in Greece, but presume your consumer laws are similar to those in the UK. (And it would help if you add your location to your forum profile so we can give you more accurate advice).

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
giokostas

Post by giokostas »

Hi and thank you!

Yes I asked the same question in another forum, as I didn't know where to post it!

Of course noise is very subjective such as engine noise, car plastic squeaks etc.
But it's different when you hear a metal noise from your transmission like a bad bearing, it's not a matter of comfort but safety and money
when you get out of warranty period.

I have driven 2 karoq till now and I didn't notice the same as with my case, but the excuse from the dealer was that's not the case with all the karoq cars.
That's why I asked the question here to get more insight on the matter, if any other karoq owner had the same issue and how he solved it.
If there aren't many, that means that a transmission replacement will solve the issue ( whatever it is )
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome to the forum.
How many Kms has the car covered?
I could not really hear the noise on the video,
Any noise from the transmission on a manual car when the clutch pedal is depressed is often a worn clutch release bearing. IF! it is this, at only a year old, unless exceptional 'mileage' it is unacceptable.
Try and get a second opinion form an independent auto engineer.
If he says it is the clutch release bearing, I would get his written report, present it to the dealer and demand that it is put right under the warranty. You should also contact the Greek arm of Skoda and make sure the dealer is not lying about Skoda 'knowing about it'.
Dealers get paid less than retail labour rates for warranty work by the manufacturers and some of the less scrupulous dealers will do all possible to avoid warranty claims. I have had experience of this with a U.K. MG dealer.
Good luck.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
giokostas

Post by giokostas »

Hi Kodiaq,

you can hear a metallic sound at the background through the whole video but I will highlight the seconds that I changed gears and the sound is actually louder ( 3s - 5s, 11s )
If you spot it, then you can miss it. It's early in the morning, so all sounds in the video are from my car.

The car has ~10.000 km and I bought it from the same dealer as a used one.

I already went to an independent auto engineer, he didn't touch the car as it's under warranty, but he is pretty sure that is something from the clutch-transmission as he took it for a ride,
but I didn't get a written report, as it's gonna be his opinion against the other ( and whose the best technician at the end of the day ).

The dealer proposed me as a solution, to add some screws to untighten transmission teeth ( I'm not a technician so please forgive me if I don't describe it well ) which MAY or MAY not fix
the issue ( 70% success on the other cars as he told me ). But as a feeling, I already know that he told me bs to get rid of me

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post