Rear view mirror

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
JACKO1945

Post by JACKO1945 »

Good evening all. I am waiting delivery of my new Karoq and am just asking a quick question. My car will have a USB-C port on the interior mirror where I intended to get power from for my dash-cam. Can anyone advise me if the port is switched or permanent live as I don't want to be plugging it in every time nor do I want it permanently on.
Thank you in advance
John

24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

USB-C beside rear view mirror is ignition switched, so not permanently on.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

24 VRT wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:52 am USB-C beside rear view mirror is ignition switched, so not permanently on.
All usb-c are switched. I don't have the socket on the mirror, so I power my dashcam from one of the other usb-c sockets. The issue here is that with my dashcam, the camera thinks it is being connected to a computer and will not function. I had to get a data blocking lead to make it work properly. I would normally have used a bullet adaptor in the 12v socket, but as that is permanently live the camera would actually be recording 24/7 if the adaptor wasn't pulled, overwriting all (possibly important) footage.

I do have a switching cable which I use when we have a fridge in the car. Seems to work well, but is far too bulky to use in the front for a dashcam.
JACKO1945

Post by JACKO1945 »

Thank you both for your replies which were helpful. As there were no replies when I checked this morning I went on to the Skoda web-site and their live chat. The operative checked with the tech team for me and they confirmed like yourselves that the USB-C ports are all switch live. Regarding the no data cable the port on the mirror is for charging/power and does not support data so I purchased a short 25cm USB-C to mini USB which should be just right for the dash cam. Just had an email from the dealer that my car is now at the port waiting to be shipped. Thanks again from a newbie
Bramleyapple

Post by Bramleyapple »

I wired my dash cam direct from the OBD socket this is permanently live, pins 16 and 4. Ran the cam cable up under the rubber season A pillar, across under the front edge of headlining to camera. Neat and tidy, cable mostly hidden. Get a wireable OBD plug from eBay to connect cam lead to.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post