MPG on 1.5 petrol SEL

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Dolphinfriendly1012 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm To be fair it was the trip computer but with an 8 gallon tank you know when it's drinking it and we covered 250 miles on just under 3/4 of a tank indicated by the gauge. Don't thinks it's a million miles off.
Assuming the gauge is linear and accurate (both brave assumptions!) that would be 250 miles on 6 gallons or 41.7mpg. Which would suggest that the trip computer is being more than a little economical with the truth as it is about 15% different from the displayed value. My experience with the computer in the Yeti (and the three tanks of fuel so far in the Karoq suggest it is broadly similar) was that it tended to overestimate my fuel economy by 6 to 10%. So, given the rough nature of the numbers and the assumptions of accuracy, I'd guess the real fuel consumption was around 43 - 44 mpg. Not bad by any means, but remember that the Arona is significantly smaller and lighter than the Karoq.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

Grillygraham

Post by Grillygraham »

I have now done 3500 miles in my new Karoq Edition 1.5 petrol auto, driving 90% motorway and 10% town. Getting 40 miles to gallon driving it like a saint (70 on motorway), but if I push a bit I am lucky to get 34 mpg. Big disappointment to be honest considering official is 51 mpg, so way down. Do not know what I could do to improve, even rolling downhill you would struggle. Amazed car manufacturers can still get away with lying about this. My Yeti diesel 2.0 would get 50 plus easy so affectively costing me extra £500 a year on fuel based on my annual mileage. Overall very satisfied with car lovely to drive and comfortable. I am addicted to the adaptive cruise control (optional) very easy to use and will be very useful driving to south of France in September.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Yup, the manufacturers (all of them!) still lie about the fuel consumption figures. Or to be more precise, the government defined testing regime is still garbage and although the new test comes into force soon, it is unlikely to produce numbers that are representative of the fuel consumption most people will actually achieve.

I still find it amusing that my old Yeti diesel and my wife's Fabia 110 SG have virtually identical official combined fuel consumption figures (61.4mpg and 62.1mpg respectively) but the difference between the two was astounding; the Yeti turned in an average of just over 50mpg during the three and a half years I had her but the Fabia, under very similar driving conditions, returns around 34. On long runs (same mixed route, same driver) the figures were around 64.4 for the Yeti and 41 for the Fabia.

However, don't forget to offset the £500 per annum additional fuel cost against the premium you'd pay for a diesel of around £3,500, you'd get some of that back when selling, but not all of it.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

Scud

Post by Scud »

Karoq SE-L 1.5 TSI DSG 2WD - I have checked the MPG over the past 1937 miles of MIXED driving on ECO drive mode setting and have used 53.05 gallons, giving an overall average of 36.51 MPG. Car purchased new and has now done 3099 miles in total. Disappointed with current return since dealer told me to knock off 6 MPG from official Skoda figure of 51.4 MPG, so I was expecting at least 45.4 MPG and not the 36.51 I am currently obtaining. NB: Throughout the 1937 miles checked period, I deactivated the "stop/start" feature, which was driving me nuts?.
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

For info, fully loaded car on a 450 mile trip back from Scotland (2 adults, 2 kids, dog and 3 bikes out back on the towbar) returned an average speed of 54 mph and 36.6 mpg on the trip computer. I'm happy with that and the trip computer regularly returns mid 40's mpg on my commute (75 miles of motorways and a roads)
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy »

Milfmog wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:36 pm
Dolphinfriendly1012 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm To be fair it was the trip computer but with an 8 gallon tank you know when it's drinking it and we covered 250 miles on just under 3/4 of a tank indicated by the gauge. Don't thinks it's a million miles off.
Assuming the gauge is linear and accurate (both brave assumptions!) that would be 250 miles on 6 gallons or 41.7mpg. Which would suggest that the trip computer is being more than a little economical with the truth as it is about 15% different from the displayed value. My experience with the computer in the Yeti (and the three tanks of fuel so far in the Karoq suggest it is broadly similar) was that it tended to overestimate my fuel economy by 6 to 10%. So, given the rough nature of the numbers and the assumptions of accuracy, I'd guess the real fuel consumption was around 43 - 44 mpg. Not bad by any means, but remember that the Arona is significantly smaller and lighter than the Karoq.

Have fun,

Ian.
The only trouble with this calculation is that the tank is 11 gallons (50 litres) not 8, so the fuel consumption works out at 30.3 mpg if 3/4 of a tank was used.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Stevieboy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 pm
Milfmog wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Have fun,

Ian.
The only trouble with this calculation is that the tank is 11 gallons (50 litres) not 8, so the fuel consumption works out at 30.3 mpg if 3/4 of a tank was used.
But the tank of a Seat Arona (the car that Dolphnfriendly was referring to) is not 50l but 40l (8.8 gallons) so the calculation was not that far off. Two hundred and fifty miles on 6.6 gallons is just under 38mpg. (I confess I did not check the tank capacity of the Arona or I would have taken that into account, I simply used the 8 gallon figure provided)

Have fun,

Ian.

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy »

My mistake Ian. 38 mpg isn't too bad for the load and the driving.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

You will find (in my experience of 5 Skodas) that the consumption will improve after you have done 4-5K miles.
My Kodiaq (1.4SEL DSG) does a total overall consumption of 34.7mpg, considering it is considerably larger that the Karoq you should do better once it has loosened up.
The best I have had out of it on a long slow, country road run was 47.4! Why buy diesel?! ;)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Martin1199

Post by Martin1199 »

I have just done Scotland and back total 1052 miles. I did not have to rush on way up so kept at 75 mph and got a return of 48mpg. I came back a lot quicker and only got 32mph. My conclusion is that if you remain under 80mph then you should get about 45mpg. That was just me and no other weight in the car. My car has completed 9000 miles in 12 weeks from new. My car is a manual.