Fuel flap problems

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Lesc1049

Post by Lesc1049 »

Hi all . I have had on several occasions had problems opening the fuel flap on my Skoda Karoq Edition 68 reg . I have only covered 22500 miles in this vehicle and wasn't expecting any problems for a few years to come . It turns out many other people have had this problem and have turned to the dealer to get it resolved . The vehicle is just over 3 years old and it's out of warranty. I have had it serviced at the main dealers over this time . I contacted the dealer Pullman Skoda to ask if there was any recall on this model due to the amount of posts on Google and the forums . Never heard of it they said never had any problems with fuel flaps . The result was bring it in we will charge you £95 for a diagnostic just to have a look at it . Flipping heck £95 before any parts and labour . It is coming up for a service and have been quoted £250 for this time round. Putting the repair cost on top off this god knows how much it will cost to put right . I would have though Skoda would have recognised the problem as a manufacturing fault and recalled the vehicle to replace a faulty solenoid switch causing the problems . I am not griping about this because under normal circumstances the vehicle would be covered by the warranty. It's just that they must have known that the components were faulty and hid behind a screen hoping it would go away . Rather than putting their hands up to supplying a faulty part . Why don't they have a physical release pull which would override the problem . The cost of running a car nowadays is extremely high any help from the manufactures would be of great value in putting know faults right not letting the customer take the full burden of the replacement costs of repairs

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I am afraid to have to say that Skoda and often their dealers frequently use the 'never heard of that problem' excuse when there are loads of faults/failures quoted on the fora.
I had the dreaded fuel flap failure to open problem. It is the solenoid in the body that seizes and will not withdraw the locking arm.
There is only one way to cure it immediately, according to Skoda rescue (AA) Screwdriver wrapped in a bit of cloth to protect the paintwork and prize it open , thereby snapping the PLASTIC!!! hoop with which the solenoid contacts.
You then need a new solenoid and a new flap which has to be sprayed to match the car.
Luckily this happened to me after a P/X price had been agreed with my dealer and while the car was still under 3 years old. So I P/Xd the car and the dealer had to sort it before he sold it on.
I think you will find that the Karoq has an anti-syphon coil in the fill pipe, so you could just leave it un-repaired and save yourself 'loadsa munney'. Up to you. Check on the anti-syphon coil though, specially with petrol costing what it does at the moment. Your dealer should be able to tell you.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Richiej64

Post by Richiej64 »

My flap failed on my 18 plate 20k Karoq, had to force it open as i needed fuel. To get the flat closed and flush after I cut off the tabs of the locking arbour that catches the flap locked. This allowed me to refuel and disguised the fact the flat was not fully closed.
My mail dealer (Marshalls Bedfor) we’re reluctant at first but when they realised it was only the solenoid that needed replacing ( a common fault) and not the full flap with colour coded respray they did it 12 months out of warranty.
Be nice, be firm and smile. It’s amazing what can be achieved. Good luck
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

How did you get it open without snapping the hoop on the flap that the arbour goes into? When The AA man opened mine with a screwdriver he snapped the hoop and the arbour goes into and the lid then shut flat and stayed so .
This system of locking is IMHO completely pointless. The 'scallys' will soon work out that it takes seconds to pop the flap with the action described above. How they manage to get past the anti-syphon coil is another matter!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Lesc1049

Post by Lesc1049 »

The only way forward is to replace the solenoid switch . I had to prise the flap open just enough to get my fingers under . Just enough pressure so you don't break the flap . To get to switch is a different ball game . It's fitted to the back of the housing ,which is held in by 4 wedge type fittings . I may add it is impossible to get to these in order to get housing out . The answer is to buy another housing I got 1 off eBay for £37 and a new switch from local VW supplier for £24. The housing is best cut away and binned . The switch is held in place using 2 screws with splined heads and the electrical connector comes out by using small screwdriver to push in holding clip at the side of connection point . The drainage pipe comes out and is just easy to push back in to new housing . It took about 25 minutes in total to do . The colour coded flap just slides off the hinged section and slides back on to the new housing , no need to repaint . The vehicle has only covered 22700 miles and is due it's 12 monthly service . The dealers want well over £200 to replace oil filter ,oil, and a pollen filter . They also required a fee of £95'just to diagnose the fault on the fuel flap . I could not imagine what the final invoice would come to . As the vehicle is out of warranty I have found a local garage to service the car at a far more competitive price using original manufactures parts and oils . These glass palaces must take some upkeep. no wonder the costs of dealership services are so high . Skoda UK deny there is any problems with these fuel flaps and do not take into account the issues raised on these forums or Google results . What a way to treat customers just deny it happens is there policy

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post